Quick View Plus

Share viewer and VFS (virtual file system) plugins.
leo
GPSoftware
Opus: Directory Opus 12

Quick View Plus

Postby leo » 24 Sep 2010, 04:08

Quick View Plus (QVP) is a product which can view hundreds of file formats without the need for any additional software. For example, it can display Microsoft Word or Corel Word Perfect documents without having either program installed.

Quick View Plus 11 includes a preview handler that works within Directory Opus (and newer versions of Windows Explorer and Outlook).

Simply installing Quick View Plus 11 Standard (or above) will add its viewing abilities to Directory Opus if you are on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or above. (Windows XP users can still benefit, with an extra step. See below.)

Notes & Caveats (updated September 2011):

• Windows XP: Quick View Plus 11 does not install its preview handler on Windows XP; however, the DLLs it installs seem to work with the Opus MultiView plugin.
  • 32-bit: Avantstar support Quick View Plus on 32-bit editions of all current versions of Windows.
  • 64-bit: Avantstar support Quick View Plus on 64-bit editions of Windows 7. (I found it worked okay on 64-bit Vista as well, but it's not officially supported.)
  • QVP editions: Quick View Plus 11 comes in two editions: Standard and Professional. The Standard edition is all you need if you just wish to view files within Directory Opus.
  • QVP Trial version: Trial versions of QVP may not install/enable the preview handler, and so may only let you see how well the viewers handle different file formats outside of Opus and Explorer. You may not be able to test the viewers inside Opus until using the full purchased version. This seems to have changed back & forth over the years, so may vary.

(Thanks to Michael Kenward, Jon Potter, Plunder and Avantstar themselves for their help discovering the info above. Thanks also to Ron Hirsch whose quest for a way to view Word Perfect files in 64-bit Opus led us here.)

sfuller
Registered Opus Pro User
Opus: Latest Beta

Re: Quick View Plus

Postby sfuller » 19 Oct 2010, 07:29

QVP 11 is working great except for rar (winrar). I have Opus 9.56. QVP shows them fine in the QVP program. .rar is configured for QVP under the Activex plugin.
The viewer pane shows Winzip 32-bit, but the preview windows shows "No preview available. I've tried toggling VSF rar.

leo
GPSoftware

Postby leo » 19 Oct 2010, 10:18

Sounds like you have a Winzip preview handler installed which is being used instead of QVP. Go into the ActiveX plugin configuration and move the .rar extension from that to QVP.

sfuller
Registered Opus Pro User
Opus: Latest Beta

Postby sfuller » 19 Oct 2010, 13:18

Obviously I have a vision problem--it was right under Activex Winzip32 handler. Thanks!

JMcGrey17
Opus: Directory Opus 8

Postby JMcGrey17 » 28 Oct 2010, 18:11

leo wrote:Simply installing Quick View Plus 11 Standard (or above) will add its viewing abilities to Directory Opus if you are on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or above.

Hi, I'm using windows 7 and I've installed Quick View plus 11 standard and after installing it I try to use Directory Opus but I don't find the quick view plus 11 standard viewing abilities... Can you help me how to fix it? or make a step-by-step process.
Have a file that you can't access? FileCure provides a fast and easy way to identify files that Windows cannot open.

leo
GPSoftware

Postby leo » 28 Oct 2010, 23:40

JMcGrey17 wrote:Hi, I'm using windows 7 and I've installed Quick View plus 11 standard and after installing it I try to use Directory Opus but I don't find the quick view plus 11 standard viewing abilities... Can you help me how to fix it? or make a step-by-step process.

Trial version, or did you buy QVP? The trial version didn't work properly last time I tested it.

If you bought QVP:
- Which filetypes are you trying to display?
- Does QVP appear in the Opus ActiveX plugin's config window?

michaelkenward
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby michaelkenward » 29 Oct 2010, 00:46

JMcGrey17 wrote:Hi, I'm using windows 7 and I've installed Quick View plus 11 standard and after installing it I try to use Directory Opus but I don't find the quick view plus 11 standard viewing abilities... Can you help me how to fix it? or make a step-by-step process.

What do you mean, you "don't find the quick view plus 11 standard viewing abilities"?

If you are trying to invoke the standalone viewer within DOpus, then remember that "right click" options that also feature in Explorer may be hidden unless you simultaneously press the Shift key, or have added a separate menu entry.

Apart from that, the two integrate seamlessly and you probably won't know that you are using QuickView.
MK
Directory Opus Pro 11.16 Build 5738 x64 & x32
In Windows 10 Home & Pro

JMcGrey17
Opus: Directory Opus 8

Postby JMcGrey17 » 31 Oct 2010, 22:37

Trial version, or did you buy QVP? The trial version didn't work properly last time I tested it.

If you bought QVP:
- Which filetypes are you trying to display?
- Does QVP appear in the Opus ActiveX plugin's config window?

I use the trial version so I can test it first before buying the product. Anyways, thanks for replying on my post... I made it worked!
Have a file that you can't access? FileCure provides a fast and easy way to identify files that Windows cannot open.

fooney
Registered Opus Pro User
Opus: Directory Opus 11

Postby fooney » 17 Mar 2011, 07:39

Hi Leo,

I just installed QVP, but I'm not seeing AI and PDF thumbnails in Dopus. It's QVP Standard 11.0.0, and both type show up in WVP standalone.

I haven't made any changes in Dopus -- is there some pre-existing viewer I should disable? It's a standard Win7/64 install (9.5.6.0.3937).

Thanks in advance for the support,

Allen

leo
GPSoftware

Postby leo » 17 Mar 2011, 08:01

QuickView provides a preview handler for the viewer pane, not thumbnails for the file display.

fooney
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby fooney » 17 Mar 2011, 08:06

Ah, I understand. The viewer is working fine.

Thanks,

Allen

michaelkenward
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby michaelkenward » 17 Mar 2011, 14:09

You should get thumbnails if you install Adobe Reader. Any version after 8.

I say "should" because some people have problems even with that installed.

If it is there already, run a "Repair" on it.

A quick search of this place for PDF and thumbnail should reveal several earlier discussions of this issue.
MK
In Windows 10 Home & Pro

kp96

Postby kp96 » 31 Mar 2011, 11:08

I purchased and installed Quick View Plus 11.0.0 Standard Edition on my Windows 7 (64-bit) computer so I would be able to view WordPerfect (WPD) files. Works fine for WPD, except QVP also took control when viewing text (TXT) files. How can I use the Viewer Plugins within Opus to configure it so TXT files are viewed as before rather than using QVP, which causes a slight delay.

I know I can right-click when viewing and select Use Plugin / Text. But I want it to default to the Text plugin instead of QVP.

----- SOLVED -----

While writing the above question, I found the solution.
1. Go into the Plugin Manager
2. Highlight "ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web" and click "Configure"
3. Scroll down to Quick View Plus (32-bit) and select QVP
4. On the right, scroll down to ".txt" and click "Remove"

That fixed my problem - maybe it will help others.

fooney
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby fooney » 31 Mar 2011, 11:36

@MK: I had Acrobat CS5 already installed, but some days later Reader X update came along, and now the thumbnails for AI and PDF are working fine. For some reason the previous version of Reader (which had been installed prior to the CS5 suite) wasn't producing thumbs. Perhaps some interaction with Acrobat itself? Who knows. IAC, I'm very relieved that it works now.

Allen

michaelkenward
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby michaelkenward » 31 Mar 2011, 12:43

The relationship between PDF thumbnails, Windows and Adobe is built on magic.

There is no science involved.

Here and in other places people have seen truly mystic behaviour in getting this to work.

Reinstalling and repairing often help. But you may have to do this several times.

But all of a sudden things can change yet again.

This behaviour afflicts people who have never heard of Opus: so I think we can safely conclude that it is an innocent bystander.
MK
In Windows 10 Home & Pro

fooney
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby fooney » 31 Mar 2011, 13:20

I can say no more.

My lips are sealed.

ac

plunder
Registered Opus Pro User
Opus: Directory Opus 10

Postby plunder » 03 Sep 2011, 04:06

leo (in spring 2010) wrote:
  • 64-bit: Avantstar, who makes Quick View Plus, does not officially support using it on 64-bit versions of Windows
leo (in spring 2010) wrote:
  • Windows XP: Quick View Plus 11 does not install its preview handler on Windows XP, although it may do if you have Outlook 2007 installed (this has not been tested).

I can confirm that on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (an OS which nobody uses anymore lol) no matter what one tries to install (first the various required Microsoft stuff, then Outlook 2007, then the PreviewHandlerPack and finally Quick View Plus 11 Standard Edition), previewing files from within Dopus doesnt work too well. It must be noted that the standalone 64-bit QVP viewer can view all its supported file types flawlessly in the QVP11 GUI. Just the previewing from within Dopus .. fails most of the time. Try yourself and check with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (see left screenshot). I am done.
Image , Image
On the other hand, on a vanilla Windows XP 32-bit system (see right screenshot), simply install Dopus and Quick View Plus 11 and that's enough! From within Dopus, you can preview all QVP11-supported file types flawlessly. No configuration needed. After installing Quick View Plus 11 Standard Edition (Trial Version is sufficient!) you're all set, that simple!
kp96 wrote:3. Scroll down to Quick View Plus (32-bit) and select QVP
4. On the right, scroll down to ".txt" and click "Remove".

On a Windows XP system, either 32-bit or 64-bit, QVP does not appear in that list as can be seen from the non-fake screenshots. On Windows7 yes (because you said so), on WindowsXP no (because i said so, and a forum friend who owns a purchased full version 11.1.0). The screenshots clearly illustrate this poor "XP-behaviour". Note that the screenshots were done on a system with the Trial Version and results with the Full Version could differ (i could ask my friend to check with 64-bit WinXP if he's up to that). Then again, who *** **** cares about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition? :P

I dont care about WinXP64.. so let's not waste my or my friend's time with it!, and on WinXP32 the "QVP Dopus plugin" works right away as mentioned. Clearly there is no need to install Outlook 2007, XP-PreviewHandlerPacks, Microsoft .NET Framework, Microsoft Visual J#! (If Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime is missing on your system though, the Quick View Plus installer would install its runtime redistributable.)

And i've tested it in review: Even if, on WinXP-32bit, you first install Outlook 2007, then the Microsoft stuff, then the XP-PreviewHandlerPack(s), and finally Quick View Plus, QVP11 would not expand the list of Dopus preview handlers. Clearly, on WinXP-32bit, QVP11 does not install any preview handler(s) but you can still profit from QVP11 via the use of the Dopus multiview plugin (*.DLL's). And user, dont get confused with the term "multiview plugin" vs. "preview handler" (as part of the ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web Plugin) vs. "Viewer Panel" vs. "Viewer Pane". Some of these terms are related, some arent.
Last edited by plunder on 07 Sep 2011, 13:38, edited 5 times in total.

leo
GPSoftware

Postby leo » 05 Sep 2011, 04:28

Thanks Plunder. I have updated this post, as well as the MultiView plugin one.

Notes:

• Quick View Plus still does not install a preview handler on Windows XP, but (as per Plunder's post) you can use its viewers via the Opus MultiView plugin. (You'll need to enable the plugin, since it is disabled by default. 32-bit XP with QVP installed is probably the only remaining situation where anyone would want to use the MultiView plugin.)

• The trial version of Quick View Plus was updated since I last tried it and I can confirm that it now installs a preview handler on Vista and Win7. (Previously, only the full, non-trial installer included a working preview handler. Now people can try QVP in Opus using the free 30-day trial version.)

• There is now a 64-bit trial version as well. I'm not sure how different it is to using the 32-bit version on 64-bit Windows (which seemed to work fine for me in the past), but it's good to know that QVP now officially supports 64-bit Windows.

plunder
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby plunder » 05 Sep 2011, 06:26

leo, my mate and i we have performed some more simple tests of the trial version and he of his full version. this post doesnt add new info; it's for illustrating purposes only. Since there's nothing to add to the WinXP case (user, forget about XP64! and on XP32 turn on the multiview plugin checkbox: both the trial version and the full version do a great job here!), let's turn our focus to the Win7 case (user, forget WinVista please!).

On Win7, QVP indeed expands the "ActiveX + Preview + Office + Web Plugin Configuration"-dialogue, i.e. in the Preview Handlers section. On a vanilla Win7-32bit system, compare the before and after screenshots:
before: Image, and after: Image

On a vanilla Win7-64bit system, the dialogues look similar to the above 32bit versions, for example compare the after screenshot:
after (64-bit): Image

While on XP you dont have any good control of the file extensions handled by QVP, on Win7 you can remove (and add, e.g. *.dll, *.exe) QVP-supported file extensions in its long list. The default list created in Dopus by the QVP installation is somewhat impressive with the support of many oldish file extensions (oldish document formats):

QVP supports the preview of RAR's, which is nice:

You wouldnt really need a QVP installation if you wanted to preview files which are compressed within an archive, e.g. the *.pot (Free PowerPoint Templates) files from ppttempl.zip (383K). If you know how, Dopus can/could do it too without QVP being installed. But. Such type of previewing is more easily performed with QVP installed!

And even inside nested archives, the QVP preview handlers do their job with no noteworthy delay. The following 2 screenshots (1 for 32-bit, 1 for 64-bit) both showcase the entering and previewing of archives within archives (double/triple compression as in "nested archives", "nested ZIP's", "nested RAR's"). Depending on the depth of the nesting (and how far you choose/chose to follow the nesting with the Dopus Lister), the target *.pot file is opened either in the Dopus viewer pane OR in the QVP standalone application.

nested ZIP&RAR's in 32-bit: Image

nested ZIP&RAR's in 64-bit: Image

Clearly, installing Win7-64bit (vanilla install), then installing Dopus-64bit, and then installing QVP11-64bit and then previewing WordPerfect documents from within Dopus-64bit? Yes, no problem. QVP11 has full 64-bit support on Windows7 systems (but not on XP systems).

Summary: Quick View Plus 11 does an amazing job in conjunction with Dopus and is the best single Dopus plugin i know so far. Every Dopus fan should install the Trial Version and test it!! :thumbsup:
Last edited by plunder on 07 Sep 2011, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

plunder
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby plunder » 07 Sep 2011, 12:20

Quick View Plus users who experience trouble with the display of certain file extensions can updatecould test the corresponding viewer *.DLL with the most current version taken from the Oracle original redistributable package. QVP11.0.0 is based on the Oracle Outside In Technology Downloads : Viewer Technology 8.3.2 (vw-8-3-2-win-x86-32.zip, vw-8-3-2-win-x86-64.zip) which was released in September 2009, see screenshot on a 64-bit Win7 system (with 64-bit QVP Trial Version installed):

The current version at the time of writing available thru the Oracle website is v8.3.7, released in July 2011. Before you can download from Oracle, you must register (it's FREE) and then click on accept the "Accept License Agreement". Since the screenshot demonstrates that all vs*.DLL files of the original Oracle package are unchanged in the QVP installation (and please feel free to do your own synchronization with Dopus, or use Beyond Compare (BC3) for a folder comparison), you can safelycould overwrite the older vs*.dll files (v8.3.2) with the newer vs*.dll files (v8.3.7) for testing purposes. Safe or not, I've tested it and it works great!

In fact, to save time, you cancould even take the entire set of files \redist\*.* (from the download *.zip, 32-bit vs. 64-bit package) and copy it to the QVP program folder, i.e. C:\Program Files\Quick View Plus\Program\*.*, thus overwriting and updating all same-named files. Doing so, newly supported file formats (such as AutoCAD 2010, in v8.3.7) probably wont preview in the Dopus viewer pane ... I couldnt test this because i dont own any AutoCAD 2010 files :D

As an old TotalCommander user I noticed the resemblance between its uLister freeware plugin supporting 500+ file formats and Quick View Plus 11 supporting 300+ file formats, that's how i found out about all this :thumbsup: (There too, TC users can keep their viewer *.DLL's current by overwriting them with the latest Oracle files.)

The merit of the Avantstar development team is to provide a standalone GUI (qvp32.exe, qvp64.exe) and to guarantee that the "Oracle-published DLL's" interact flawlessly with the application *.exe. In QVP version 11.0 Avantstar guarantees that 300+ (of the 500+) file formats supported by the "Oracle-published DLL's" are viewed fine in the Quick View Plus GUI, and it is safe to assume that in far future some more of the remaining ~200 file formats are viewable/previewable in the Quick View Plus GUI.

Thanks to Avantstar for writing the *.exe but above all thanks a million to Oracle for publishing the sv*.dll files!!!

[...]
Another no-nonsense post brought to you by plunder the t**** :wink:
For more kick my **tt posts, see links in my signature, thanks.
Last edited by plunder on 08 Sep 2011, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Viewer & VFS Plugins”