The ActiveX plugin comes with Directory Opus but, between Opus releases, you can sometimes download a newer version from the plugin's web page.
The ActiveX plugin allows Directory Opus to view various document types within the Opus viewer pane.
The plugin will hook other programs and viewers into Opus, depending on which compatible software you have installed.
It is designed to work with the following:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., via preview handlers which come with MS OFfice, or via alternative QuickViewPlus preview handlers)
- Legacy Microsoft Office (embedding the Office apps themselves in the viewer pane; not recommended with modern Office where preview handlers work better)
- The standalone MS Office Viewers (free, but possibly legacy)
- Open Office (instructions, but may not work with recent versions)
- Internet Explorer (for HTML, MHT, XML, etc.)
- Adobe Reader (PDF)
- PDF-XChange (PDF)
- Fox-It Reader (PDF)
- Shockwave Flash (SWF)
- Windows built-in Preview Handlers made for Explorer and Outlook (E-mails, Contacts, Fonts, etc.)
- Microsoft XPS documents
- Windows Media Player (but the Opus Movie plugin is generally better for movie playback)
- Zip file contents
- AutoCAD (DWG, DWF, etc.) (instructions)
- DjVu (instructions)
- SVG (instructions)
- Quick View Plus 11 (instructions) (views hundreds of formats)
- And more...
The plugin includes the ability for 64-bit versions of Opus to use both 32-bit and 64-bit ActiveX viewers. For example, this enables 64-bit users to view PDF and Flash files within the Opus viewer pane, even though Adobe have not produced 64-bit versions of their components.
The new configuration dialog allows you to specify which types of ActiveX controls should be used to view different files. You can also disable certain Preview Handlers entirely if you find they get in the way of other viewers which you prefer. (Some are disabled by default, for example Vista's plain-text handler.)
MHT web page archive:
For History, the Known Issues list the To-Do list and Translation Tips, please see the plugin's web page: