Vista Corner Backgrounds

Share background images for listers and toolbars.
leo
GPSoftware
Opus: Directory Opus 12

Vista Corner Backgrounds

Postby leo » 03 Jun 2007, 07:42

These background images are modified versions of the 256x256 icons from Windows Vista.

The backgrounds are available in two sizes:
The images have been cropped to look good in the bottom-right corner of an Opus lister.

They have been saved in the PNG format with 80% translucency so that they will look good on all background colours, not just white, and so that text written over the top of them will remain easy to read.

Image (Click thumbnail for full size.)

The image above lets you see all of the backgrounds that you'll find in the two archives. (It shows thumbnails of the source images at 0% translucency. The images in the archive will be more like those in the other screenshots.)

Image (Click thumbnail for full size.)

The image above demonstrates the way the backgrounds will look good against all background colours.

defisit
Opus: Directory Opus 11

Postby defisit » 04 Jun 2007, 05:22

Great stuff Leo,

Question, from your screenshots it lookes like you have different backdrops for different folder content types. Are the screenshots you've put there just for illustration or are they for real? I've checked the Folder Formats under preferences and its possible to select a image for a Content Type Format but its limited to only the default images defined under Images. Wouldn't it be nice to have a selectable choice beyond the default Standard Toolbar|File Display| Folder Tree Images? Or have i overlooked something?

John.

leo
GPSoftware

Postby leo » 04 Jun 2007, 06:29

The screenshots are all real. In Preferences - Display - Images you can add as many extra images to the list as you like.
Attachments
Preferences - Directory Opus.png
Preferences - Directory Opus.png (130.93 KiB) Viewed 32911 times

r3d DaWn

Postby r3d DaWn » 24 Jun 2007, 21:22

I'm new to Directory Opus, so I hope I don't ask something silly. My question is, after reading over some of the FAQ and links under your post, I still don't understand how to setup an image for certain areas. For example, The Recycle Bin, I can setup a folder option that will display the recycle bin image for the folder "recycler" under my root directory, but how do I do that for the Recycle Bin, the option under the folder tree view in Opus? Another example being the Desktop view under the folder tree, I can setup the folder option for the specific user folder, but that's all I've figured out so far. Can someone point me to how this is done? Thank you

steve
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby steve » 24 Jun 2007, 21:35

Special folders, like the Desktop and Recycle bin are displayed within Opus using Explorer itself.

There is an option in Preferences - Display - Options - Enable background images in virtual folders which will turn on background images for these folders but as the manual says : Please note that this function uses undocumented “hooks” directly into the system and as such its behavior can not be guaranteed.

r3d DaWn

Postby r3d DaWn » 24 Jun 2007, 22:01

thank you, that worked..

Stom

Postby Stom » 30 Jun 2007, 10:12

I too am confused as to how to make certain images show for different locations. eg, how do I make the 'S Disk Network' show when i am connected to a FTP site, the photo one for in my pictures and so on?

I have had a read through the FAQ but I guess I missed this specific thing? :/

leo
GPSoftware

Postby leo » 30 Jun 2007, 10:41

Stom wrote:I too am confused as to how to make certain images show for different locations. eg, how do I make the 'S Disk Network' show when i am connected to a FTP site, the photo one for in my pictures and so on?

I have had a read through the FAQ but I guess I missed this specific thing? :/

1. Open the Preferences window.
  2. Add the images you are interested in to the list in Display - Images.
  3. Click Apply.
  4. Go to Folders - Folder Formats and edit/add the formats for folders/types-of-folders that you want images for.
  5. For each Folder Format that you edit, go to the Options tab and select an image from the drop-down list.

Stom

Postby Stom » 30 Jun 2007, 10:52

Ahhh! I knew it had to be something simple..

My thanks :D

Devilder
Opus: Directory Opus 10

Postby Devilder » 01 Jul 2007, 02:33

Fan-tas-tic !

Devilder
Opus: Directory Opus 10

Postby Devilder » 07 Jul 2007, 07:39

leo
GPSoftware

Postby leo » 07 Jul 2007, 15:28

Quite a few duplicates in there of what's in my pack. Also, if you intend to use them in the bottom-right corner it looks better if you crop the images so they all have about the same amount of border around them (ignoring shadows etc.). I tried with a basic batch conversion at first but found it wasn't that great and cropping improved things greatly.

Rebel154
Registered Opus Pro User
Opus: Latest Beta
Is it possible to set the background images for a lister displaying a System Folder i.e. the Recycle Bin with the image of a recycle bin as the background?

I have read through the above and the FAQ but can find no reference to adding a background image to these folders.

I know that the folders are 'supplied' to DOpus from Explorer - and I cannot see a way of configuring background images through that program.

Currently, my Recycle Bin displays the same image a the C:\ drive - which I am able to configure.
Cheers,
REB

steve
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby steve » 08 Jul 2007, 14:29

Preferences / Display / Options / Enable background images in virtual folders

From the manual for this option:
Opus fully controls the display of files when showing the contents of normal folders with a physical location. However for Windows virtual folders, Opus usually provides only the “container” and Windows controls all other aspects of the display including files, display columns and the background images. This option allows Opus to override Windows settings and supply the background images in such cases. Examples of virtual folders are the Desktop, Control Panel, Fonts, etc. Please note that this function uses undocumented “hooks” directly into the system and as such its behavior can not be guaranteed.

EDIT: I may be having a blonde moment but I can't see a way to configure the recycle bin for this though.

Rebel154
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby Rebel154 » 09 Jul 2007, 10:53

tanis wrote:Preferences / Display / Options / Enable background images in virtual folders

I have enabled this and I see background images in the recycle bin lister - but it displays the last one used by that lister before going to the recycle bin. I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that because Nudel had included a Recycle Bin image in his collection in the first post, that there was a way to add such an image to the appropriate folder.

From the manual for this option:
Opus fully controls the display of files when showing the contents of normal folders with a physical location. However for Windows virtual folders, Opus usually provides only the “container” and Windows controls all other aspects of the display including files, display columns and the background images. This option allows Opus to override Windows settings and supply the background images in such cases. Examples of virtual folders are the Desktop, Control Panel, Fonts, etc. Please note that this function uses undocumented “hooks” directly into the system and as such its behavior can not be guaranteed.

I had read this and understood it - so went looking for a way to add background images to virtual/system folders using Windows Explorer and ...
EDIT: I may be having a blonde moment but I can't see a way to configure the recycle bin for this though.

... neither can I - unless I too am having a blonde moment (more than likely at my age).
Cheers,
REB

Xyzzy
Registered Opus Pro User

Postby Xyzzy » 09 Jul 2007, 23:29

Rebel154 wrote:
tanis wrote:EDIT: I may be having a blonde moment but I can't see a way to configure the recycle bin for this though.

... neither can I - unless I too am having a blonde moment (more than likely at my age).

From some other discussion I remeber that there are problems with overriding Recycle Bin in this matter (ie. colors, background etc.).

X.

r3d DaWn

Postby r3d DaWn » 19 Aug 2007, 22:27

okay, maybe another silly question, since I can't find the answer. On the very first picture that nudel posted, you can see that the image shows even on the shaded color. On my setup, it's not like that, if that shaded area moves over the image, that part of the image can't be seen. So how do you make it fully transparent so that it can be viewed even in that shaded color area? thank you..

jon
GPSoftware

Postby jon » 19 Aug 2007, 22:37

Have a play with these options and see what you find :)
Attachments
Preferences - Directory Opus.png
Preferences - Directory Opus.png (86.38 KiB) Viewed 21376 times

leo
GPSoftware

Postby leo » 20 Aug 2007, 01:37

If you want to reproduce my settings then:

Go to Preferences - Display - Fields and set the Current sort field background colour to RGB 222,223,237.

Then go to Options and set the Blend things as shown below.

Whether Blend row and column background colors should be on or off is a matter of taste and depends on the colours you use for file selection. Having the option on is nice because the row colours for special folders and for duplicate groups will show through the sort column's background. If that were the only effect then I'd turn the option on. Unfortunately the option also dims the file selection colours (even when the lister is active) which I find makes them difficult to see, so I turn it off.
Attachments
Preferences - Directory Opus (2).png
Preferences - Directory Opus (2).png (65.48 KiB) Viewed 21368 times

r3d DaWn

Postby r3d DaWn » 20 Aug 2007, 11:19

Many thanks Jon & Nudel, all good to go now, thank you again... :D

Return to “Backdrops”