How to make your own icon packs

Share icons for use on toolbars, etc.
Tenebrous
Registered Opus Pro User
Opus: Latest Beta
You need:

Instructions:

• Put montage.exe, zip.exe, doicon.bat and your icons somewhere useful on your machine, so you have:
    montage.exe
    zip.exe
    doicons.bat
    + bunch of icons

• Use doicon.bat file in the same location, and run it like this:
    doicon.bat sourcefiles destinationname

for example
    doicon.bat *.png MyAmazingIcons

• Watch with amazement as your icons get squished into a 22x22 version and a 32x32 version and wrapped up into a Directory Opus .dis file

• If you didn't bother getting zip.exe then you will receive:
    MyAmazingIcons.xml
    MyAmazingIcons-22.png
    MyAmazingIcons-32.png
    - you'll need to zip these up yourself and rename the resulting zip file to .dis, which Directory Opus can then use

• Import into Directory Opus

• PROFIT!!

Hope this comes in useful to someone!

• 2016-11-23 Fixed error where zipped file would contain paths, and added a 1px border around the tiles
  • 2016-11-23 Updated batch file so that it doesn't include the -22.png and -32.png inside themselves.
Attachments
doicon.zip
(840 Bytes) Downloaded 40 times
Last edited by Tenebrous on 23 Nov 2016, 08:02, edited 3 times in total.

kundal
H&P
Opus: Directory Opus 12
Nice idea, but it adds lines for "test-22.png" and "test-32.png" to "test.xml" and "test-22.png" will appear as an icon in "test-32.png". Montage.exe should probably create these images outside the source folder.

Tenebrous
Registered Opus Pro User
Very true, I'll update

Edit: I've fixed this
Last edited by Tenebrous on 23 Nov 2016, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

kundal
H&P
You can run the batch from a button type "MSDOS batch function". This button code requires montage.exe and optionally zip.exe located in a path thats present in the PATH environment variable of windows. Otherwise you'll have to provide the path to montage.exe in line 8 and 9 and for zip.exe in line 47. Montage exe will create the images in %temp% and they are moved to sourcepath when writing the XML was finished. You will be asked for the required values for files and the name of the iconset by a dialog.

Code: Select all

@externalonly
@runmode hide
@set files = {dlgstring|Select files:|*.png}
@set name = {dlgstring|Enter name of Iconset:}
cd {sourcepath}
chcp 65001
    @echo off
    setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion

montage {$files} -geometry 20x20+1+1 -tile 16 -background transparent %temp%\{$name}-22.png
    montage {$files} -geometry 30x30+1+1 -tile 16 -background transparent %temp%\{$name}-32.png

echo. > {$name}.tmp
    set row=1
    set col=1
    for %%i in ({$files}) do ( 
        echo         ^<icon row="!row!" col="!col!" name="%%~ni"/^>                           >> {$name}.tmp
        set /A col=col+1
        if !col! GTR 16 (
            set col=1
            set /A row=row+1
        )
    )
    echo. >> {$name}.tmp

echo ^<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?^>                                             > {$name}.xml
    echo ^<iconset name="{$name}"^>                                                      >> {$name}.xml
    echo ^<display_name^>{$name}^</display_name^>                                             >> {$name}.xml
    echo      ^<copyright^>^</copyright^>                                                     >> {$name}.xml
    echo      ^<artist^>^</artist^>                                                           >> {$name}.xml

echo      ^<set filename="{$name}-22.png" height="22" size="small" width="22"^>           >> {$name}.xml
    type {$name}.tmp >> {$name}.xml
    echo      ^</set^>                                                                        >> {$name}.xml

echo      ^<set filename="{$name}-32.png" height="32" size="large" width="32"^>           >> {$name}.xml
    type {$name}.tmp >> {$name}.xml
    echo     ^</set^>                                                                         >> {$name}.xml

echo ^</iconset^>                                                                         >> {$name}.xml

del {$name}.tmp

move %temp%\{$name}-22.png {sourcepath}
    move %temp%\{$name}-32.png {sourcepath}

if exist zip.exe (
    zip {$name}.dis {$name}-22.png {$name}-32.png {$name}.xml
    del {$name}-22.png
    del {$name}-32.png
    del {$name}.xml
    )
    goto :eof
Last edited by kundal on 27 Nov 2016, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.

Tenebrous
Registered Opus Pro User
Nicely done - I'm using my version to quickly re-generate the same icon set with minor changes without having to select the PNGs or re-enter the icon set name.

You could put montage.exe and zip.exe in a /dopusdata/Tools subfolder then you'd be able to find them via that alias.

Also, will "cd {sourcepath}" work if the path is on a different drive?

kundal
H&P
I think since DOpus 11 the default working folder for functions called by toolbar buttons is /system (\Windows\system32). cd {sourcepath} is needed to make the command working on the current active tab. It should work everywhere if the tool you called supports this.
There's an advanced option in Preferences=>Miscellaneous=>Advanced which allows changing the default working folder to {sourcepath}: def_func_cd_sourcedir

leo
GPSoftware
I think Tenebrous was asking if you wanted to use "cd {sourcepath}" or "cd /D {sourcepath}" since the DOS CD command (unlike the Opus CD command) can't change both drive and folder at once unless /D is specified.

In this particular case, it may not matter. Even with a DOS Batch button type and @externalonly specified, if the cd command before any other external commands in the batch file (ignoring any Opus @modifiers and any other cd commands), then Opus will handle it specially, and it does not matter if it has /D or not. If it was lower down then you would need the /D if you were changing to another drive.

(In normal buttons, when not using the DOS Batch type, you shouldn't use /D at all.)

Tenebrous
Registered Opus Pro User
Yeah that's what I meant, and you're right since the cd is so high that's fine - I had forgotten/not known that Opus had a special CD.

kundal
H&P
The button code I provided above produced invalid XML files if an icon name contained german Umlauts like ü or ä. DOpus didn't show the resulting iconsets. I added the line chcp 65001 to the code to make it working correctly.

leo
GPSoftware
Will still go wrong with other languages, of course.

Using JScript or VBScript instead of DOS batch would avoid the problem, since they use Unicode.

kundal
H&P
Using JScript or VBScript instead of DOS batch would avoid the problem, since they use Unicode.

Here we go:
button type: script function. zip.exe isn't needed because DOpus can do that.

Code: Select all

Option Explicit
Function OnClick(data)
Dim all, archive, cmd, col, files, i, name, objStream, objOutputFile, row, text
files = DOpus.Dlg.GetString("Select files:","*.png")
name = DOpus.Dlg.GetString("Enter name of Iconset:")
Set cmd = data.Func.Command
Set text = DOpus.FSUtil.Resolve(cmd.sourcetab.path & "\" & name & ".xml")
Set objStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
objStream.CharSet = "utf-8"
objStream.Open
row=1
col=1

objStream.WriteText "<?xml version=" & """" & "1.0" & """" & " encoding=" & """" & "UTF-8" & """" & "?>" & vbCrLf &_
        "<iconset name=" & """" & name & """" & ">" & vbCrLf & vbTab &_
        "<display_name>" & name & "</display_name>" & vbCrLf & vbTab &_
        "<copyright></copyright>" & vbCrLf & vbTab &_
        "<artist></artist>" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & vbTab &_
        "<set filename=" & """" & name & "-22.png" & """" &" height=" & """" & "22" & """ size=" & """" & "small" & """ width =" & """" & "22" & """" & ">" & vbCrLf

For i=0 To cmd.sourcetab.all.count -1
        objStream.WriteText vbTab & vbTab & "<icon row=" & """" & row & """" & " col=" & """" & col & """" & " name=" & """" & cmd.sourcetab.all(i).name_stem & """" & "/>" & vbCrLf
        col=col+1
        If col > 16 Then
         col=1
           row=row+1
      End If
    Next
   row=1
   col=1

objStream.WriteText  vbTab & "</set>" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & vbTab &_
      "<set filename=" & """" & name & "-32.png" & """" &" height=" & """" & "32" & """ size=" & """" & "large" & """ width =" & """" & "32" & """" & ">" & vbCrLf

For i=0 To cmd.sourcetab.all.count -1
        objStream.WriteText vbTab & vbTab & "<icon row=" & """" & row & """" & " col=" & """" & col & """" & " name=" & """" & cmd.sourcetab.all(i).name_stem & """" & "/>" & vbCrLf
        col=col+1
        If col > 16 Then
         col=1
           row=row+1
      End If
    Next
   objStream.WriteText vbTab & "</set>" & vbCrLf & "</iconset>"
   objStream.SaveToFile text,2
   objStream.Close

cmd.SetModifier "runmode","hide"
   cmd.AddLine("CD {sourcepath}")
   cmd.AddLine("Select " & files)
    cmd.AddLine("montage {allfile} -geometry 20x20+1+1 -tile 16 -background transparent " & name & "-22.png")
    cmd.AddLine("montage {allfile} -geometry 30x30+1+1 -tile 16 -background transparent " & name & "-32.png")
    cmd.AddLine("Copy MOVE TO {sourcepath} " & """" & name & ".xml" &"""" & " ARCHIVE=.dis CreateFolder " & """" & name & """")
    cmd.AddLine("Copy MOVE TO {sourcepath} " & """" & name & "-22.png" & """" & " ARCHIVE=.dis CreateFolder " & """" & name & """")
    cmd.AddLine("Copy MOVE TO {sourcepath} " & """" & name & "-32.png" & """" & " ARCHIVE=.dis CreateFolder " & """" & name & """")
    cmd.AddLine("Select DESELECTNOMATCH " & name & ".dis MAKEVISIBLE")
   cmd.Run
End Function

Return to “Icons”